It has been reported that after about 3 weeks of internet shutdown in Sudan, the country has restored internet to the public, but only to a single citizen.
According to Abdel-Adheem Hassan, a lawyer in Sudan told the BBC that the internet has been restored to him only, after the three-week shutdown.
Abdel-Adheem Hassan on Sunday, won a lawsuit against telecoms operator Zain Sudan over the blackout ordered by Sudan’s military rulers. However, he says his victory is only benefitting him so far as he filed the case in a personal capacity.
It is been reported that the internet was cut off after security forces violently dispersed protesters camping in central Khartoum. The protesters want an end to military rule following the coup against long-time leader Omar al-Bashir in April.
Hassan said he is currently the only civilian in the country able to access the internet without resorting to complicated hacks. He said he is going back to court on Tuesday to win the right for more Sudanese people.
“We have a court session tomorrow and another one the day after tomorrow. Hopefully one million people will gain internet access by the end of the week,” Hassan said.
According to the BBC Arabic reporter Mohamed Osman in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan also confirms that the internet remains blocked despite Sunday’s court order.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.